Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Perosnal Medical Update

After suffering from fever, coughing and shortness of breath for the whole weekend, today I have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and given antibiotics. Right now I'm on sick leave at home. I do have some final amendments to add to my thesis but other than that, this means resting until I get better.

However, I do have a more worrying medical problem - digestion issues, with 3-5 stools a day, bad appetite and nausea. The doctor did not come to a diagnosis regarding this but did ask me if I had a history of intestine cancer in my family; she then sent me to a gastroenterologist (the appointment I have is in July due to the shortage in manpower in the Israeli medical system. I did get worried from her 'cancer' questions, though I do understand that they are part of the regular diagnostic process.

Hopefully I'll get better soon.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your various medical problems.

    Regarding digestion - could you possibly have food allergies? The common ones are gluten intolerance (allergy to wheat-based products - actually the binding agent in wheat) and lactose intolerance (allergy to milk, or specifically cow's milk). If you can, see a dietician and/or try an elimination diet to see if you can spot the trigger substances.

    My wife is both gluten and lactose intolerant, as well as intolerant to a number of plant sugars so can't eat nightshades (tomatoes, onions, potatoes, etc), pip fruit, and stone fruit. She can eat meat, leaf vegetables and kumara (sweet potato). The chronic stomach aches and diarrhea have cleared up, but she does have to be careful when eating out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern!

      I saw a dietician up until recently (in order to try and lose weight - I am overweight and need to lose weight due to fatty liver issues). What she said was that I am likely to suffer from a Helicobacter (sp?) infection. I am not sure I have any food allergies as I never had digestion problems before this February.

      Both the dietician and the general doctor told me to see a gastroenterologist. I have an appointment in two months or so.

      Delete